Monday, December 21, 2009

Is it possible to wash mold/mildew out of clothes that have been sitting for 4 months? What should I do?

I packed my clothes away when I went home from school for the summer. When I unpacked them 4 months later, I noticed that a blanket (sweatshirt material) had a few spots of mold or mildew on it. I tried washing it, but that didn't work. Is there anything else I can try to get rid of it, or is the blanket trashed?Is it possible to wash mold/mildew out of clothes that have been sitting for 4 months? What should I do?
Try bleach, the non-chlorine kind so it will not bleach your colors. If you check the anti-mildew for bathrooms, bleach is a key ingredient.Is it possible to wash mold/mildew out of clothes that have been sitting for 4 months? What should I do?
i haven't found anything to remove mildew stains yety - been looking for a long time now :)
I have heard something about soaking it in a vinegar and water solution.


Acid in vinegar acts against the mold and mildew so it should wash out in mild detergent.
Wow! thought only I had this problem! lol I used a bleach pen once, and it still didnt work :(





What ever you find out works...Let me know!! I sure could use that advice!!!
I had good luck using Tilex mildew remover(even though it is for tubs) Make sure the material is colorfast first.
There is a product called X14 Mildew stain remover. It is made for bathrooms, but you CAN use it on SOME laundry if you are careful.


Be sure your washing machine is filled with cold water BEFORE you begin. Then spray the stain with the X14, and WATCH IT DISAPPEAR!


IMMEDIATELY dunk the item in the cold water or it will remove the color and possibly make a hole in the item.


Then just add your laundry soap and launder as usual.


GOOD LUCK!!
no it ant
Use pinesol and your reg detergent if it is colored.If you can bleach it let it soak in it for a few min before washing it. I use Mean Green and bleach and rub them in to get mold and baby formula out of clothes and it works great. I don't know if you can get the Mean Green but it is at Walmart and $ stores here. Pinesol also takes out the smell from being stored too long or if you get smoke damage. Best wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment