Monday, December 21, 2009

How long does it take before your cellulose sponge stinks of mold? Do you wash it?

I throw mine in the dishwasher. That way I get an extra week or two of use out of it.How long does it take before your cellulose sponge stinks of mold? Do you wash it?
The best thing to do to prevent mold is to get it wet and put it in the microwave for at least 30 seconds. This has been shown to kill bacteria, fungus and mold better than the dishwasher or bleach.How long does it take before your cellulose sponge stinks of mold? Do you wash it?
i do the same thing. when i remember to i just put mine in the dishwasher on the top rack. then when the dishwasher is done i squeeze it out really good and put it standing up ina little glass dish i keep by my sink.


but mine get that moldy smell in about 3-6 days. depending on how often i use it. since i have a dishwasher i put almost everything in there.
Good idea.. just stick them in the dishwasher. It helps to keep them sanitized.
I wash mine out and wring it dry all the time put it in a slotte sponge holder and use only for dishes.


Other sponge for other uses 3 weeks at the most
Hi Zelda,


Tin is absolutely right and deserves B.A.!! :)





Footnote:


Home care nurses will sterilize plastics and other non metal utensils that they need in a bowl filled with water in the microwave.
the best way to get the smell out is wash or rinse completly the put it in the microwave for a minute
what is a cellulose sponge
Sponges really creep me out. No matter what I do with them I still think of it as being full of mold. I normally don't buy or use them but the few times I do....I use it once or twice for whatever the purpose of me buying it was and then chunk it.
I am deeply favor the dishwasher regimen for my sponge. This is one of the best things my wife taught me. I can smell a stinky sponge a mile away not to mention how it makes your hands smell.
That is a very good idea. I have been just washing mine out with the anti-bacterial dish soap, and that works, too. ;-)
We can use our sponges for 4-5 weeks before they get smelly. Usually they start to come apart before they smell. Maybe they aren't cellulose?





A useful trick is to take your damp sponge and microwave it for about thirty seconds, until it foams. This sterilizes it. Be careful taking it out of the microwave, it will be hot.


You can also soak it briefly in bleach water (1 tbsp bleach to 10 tbsp water).





I like your dishwasher idea too.
Depends how often you use it... and if you clean it after each use. For me it usually lasts about a month. (~3 weeks)
It will last a lot longer if you rinse it thoroughly after each use, with cold water, wring it out, and put it somewhere where it can dry out. And of course you can wash it.

No comments:

Post a Comment